ANOTHER BLONDE WHITE GIRL! YES! JUST WHAT THE DCU NEEDED!
Haha, you could say the same thing about bringing back Steph or Mia, tho…
See that’s the problem. I love all those girls, but after awhile it starts to look like the goddam Barbie aisle.
I don’t mean to be a jerk, but yeah. I mean people would be jumping for joy if it were Steph. And people ignored a lot of the criticisms people had about replacing Cass with a blonde white kid way back when it happened, so….
Courtney and Steph are both awesome is what I’m saying. And at least the new JLA has Katana, Vibe, and the Arab American GL.
What he said.
I think I was pretty clear about my opinion about how out of character I thought them taking Cass out of Batgirl was. It made no sense. And, obviously, I’d like both Cass and Steph back, but If I had to choose? Cass. It’s a non-contest. Because Cass is the girl that got dumped for the blonde, Buffy clone.
And I have real strong opinions about that.
you know what the sad thing is?
people think everything is alright because we got a few characters of different races and sexuality, even if the majority are white, blonde girls with striking blue eyes or white guys with baby blue eyes.
which is funny because in real life? blonde hair and blue eyes are actually a minority.
but who cares right?
i mean, good for stargirl fans. i like her too. but frankly, i’m tired of this whole bullshit. i’m tired of getting a character who is of a different race and then get 98 characters with the same stereotype.
because when you bench characters like cass and tam fox, promise diversity and then bring back another perfect blonde girl with perfect eyes and body and just a really great smile, well, there’s something wrong with that.
put kara, power girl, stargirl, harley, cassie. steph and dinah lance side by side.
how do you tell them apart?
power girl’s boobs?
oh, and the length of their hair.
because, you know, all blonde girls have bright yellow hair.
i mean, for fuck’s sake, do people not get tired of all this perfection? where the fuck are the crooked teeth and the chubby bodies and the scars and the dirty, messy hair of different colors?
where the fuck is the rest of the world in these comics?
oh sure, we get a character here and there to show how cool and so over racism the world is now (because that doesn’t exist anymore guys! didn’t you hear? it doesn’t. racism and sexism? sooooo over) and then we get a fucking horde of the same characters over and over again: blonde, skinny, blue eyed dolls. or maybe some black haired guys with grey eyes.
and what else happens?
we bench the other characters.
‘cause that’s the right thing to do.
(and please, this is me venting. i’m not attacking anybody who’s happy with stargirl’s return. i’m really not and i’m sorry if i offended any of you. i’m offended too, but because of something else.)
This reminds me of a post from a long time ago that depicted various blond, blue-eyed white ladies and Cassandra Cain, and the arguments that cropped up about how it isn’t the white lady’s fault she’s white and hey brunettes deserve attention, too! No, these are characters with no say in how they are depicted. Some arguments were oh but you have some POC around, but like I said then and even now, it’s not just enough to have a Latina or Pakistani — or anyone of color just there for show. You need to do stuff with them to indicate you give even two damns about diversity and your diverse audience!
And this is why I’ve stopped buying comics. It’s why I didn’t bother to see The Dark Knight Rises in cinema. It’s why I don’t pay for anything anymore with blatant whitewashing or shelving of characters of color.
And I’m sick of people policing those of us who are growing indifferent to young, beautiful, white characters (even as heroes or role models to us) and basically saying, “Well, that’s just how it is.”
”And I’m sick of people policing those of us who are growing indifferent to young, beautiful, white characters (even as heroes or role models to us) and basically saying, “Well, that’s just how it is.”
a thousand times over.
- creativityandpopculterandwriting likes this
- damnsmartblueboxes reblogged this from fyeahlilbit2point0
- zatanna103 reblogged this from alpestris
- legundrybandityangus reblogged this from big-poppa-snorlax and added:
- tabularojo reblogged this from nenona and added:
- big-poppa-snorlax reblogged this from nenona and added:
- nenona reblogged this from murphysbride and added:
- thealphaone reblogged this from riverdresses and added:
- thealphaone likes this
- riverdresses reblogged this from theirastra
- jajajujru reblogged this from jahloveangel
- vanillajester likes this
- jajajujru likes this
- jahloveangel reblogged this from isawrightless
- improvinspi likes this
- majikalconcepts likes this
- the-ren likes this
- likewaxspilling likes this
- ohgrife likes this
- daggerpen likes this
- sasuhiroki likes this
- riverdresses likes this
- theirastra reblogged this from dangergirlz
- adefunctblog likes this
- muhminatali-deviantart-com likes this
- asleeps-in-some-bloods reblogged this from secret-ninja-hetalian
- saphire-dance likes this
- about-faces reblogged this from montoyas
- apple-beveragesaur reblogged this from murphysbride
- pearl-jelly likes this
- asschan likes this
- kraken-queen likes this
- brandersnatch reblogged this from fyeahlilbit2point0
- fyeahlilbit2point0 reblogged this from montoyas
- missenchantment likes this
- brightheartt likes this
- protagonistically likes this
- secret-ninja-hetalian reblogged this from cin425
- montoyas likes this
- frankcoffee reblogged this from isawrightless and added:
- grays0n reblogged this from dangergirlz
- hysterialovesme likes this
- cin425 reblogged this from isawrightless
- sinkthedutchman likes this
- iamwindomearle reblogged this from elysethegorgon
- pastagfirullah reblogged this from elysethegorgon and added:
- elysethegorgon reblogged this from sanityscraps
- antivian likes this
- ihaveahen likes this
- stuffertystuffstuff likes this